It's a Redhead Thing

You wouldn't understand....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Purging

Since I've been off work I've been trying to purge my life of clutter. It's amazing what you can accumulate in just a few years on this earth. My beloved book collection is approaching 500. That's a lot of books. Especially during moving time. So last year I decided to get rid of some.

By purging, I mean selling, giving away, whatever. I would never throw out or recycle a book. I just can't do it. My first choice is to sell. Money is good. Second choice is to trade. Some second hand book stores give you store credit. Which isn't bad except it encourages me to buy more books and I'll be in the same boat within a year.

I tried to look at the purging practically. I have books that are from younger years that I most likely will never read again. I have books that I've had FOR years that I have never read a second time. My rule is that if a book is over 2 years old and I haven't read it a second time in the last two years (if ever) then it must go. Quite a few of my books have been read 2, 3, and 4 times. I think I've read my Harry Potter books 8 times each. Now of course, I have series of books where I didn't like an installment. I'm not going to get rid of one of THOSE books and break up the set. So that's an exception. One of the harder parts is when I have a book that I never read. Or started to read and just couldn't get through it (like The Vampire Armand by Anne Rice...horrible book). I don't know what to do with those books. I don't want to purge them when I've never read them. Or never finished. It feels like a failure. So far, I'm keeping those ones.

I've been steadily going through my books and categorizing them into books I'll read again or will never read again and my uncertain books. Sorting turned out to be easier than I thought. It's the actual "taking the books away to a second hand store" that is the problem. I CAN'T DO IT!!!! I just don't have the courage to get rid of my babies. But my books are taking over my apartment.

Then there are the books that I'm a little embarassed to say I have (no, they are nothing dirty). These are novelizations of movies I had seen and now I realize I'm a little too old to have them. But I'm embarassed to take them anywhere to sell. Plus some of them....I don't want to get rid of because I have fond memories attached to them. So I can't really get rid of them.

I think I'm fighting a losing cause. There are other things I want to get rid of but I can't until the books are gone. (Although I've been mildly successful in getting rid of old clothes and some papers). But I still have a lot to do. If anyone could see what is in and on my desk....

I think I'm going to need help. I think I'm going to need someone to literally push me out my door with bags of books in hand and force me to get rid of them.

Any takers?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://hairtyson.com]phentermine 37.5[/url] are tablets that supporter reduce league weight. One of these tabs has to be infatuated with fizzy water be illogical, round 20 minutes ahead of a repast, twice a day.

5:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home